Skip to main content

February 10th HBD (Late)

My version of Sci shares the same birthday with my persona (Yasu-Kun)

Merry Christmas [3126]

Secret Santa Gift for Riku-Reimei @ Tumblr.
When I fill out the Scifell Secret Santa participation form, I mentioned that I don't like drawing other fandom or OC-related artworks, just the ship itself. Although my partner doesn't have references for their version of scifell nor could I find any on their blog, I end up drawing them in my usual style, except Edge wears jeans for the winter.

Despite that, Riku-Reimei mentions they like Coffee Shop scenarios, so I combined that idea with the Christmas theme. I also tried to use their favourite colour, purple, but there's a lot of blues instead because I was using a photo reference from last year's Christmas when I was at a shopping centre.

Before drawing this, I had other ideas like making a scifell crossover with Kingdom Hearts or Deltarune because they're interested in those fandoms too. Kingdom Hearts would be frickin' awesome if I drew them as Nobodies (do skeletons have hearts?), eating sea salt ice cream together or even share a paopu fruit... As for Deltarune, I thought about using the same colour palette of Ralsei and Susie for Sci and Edge.

Regardless, I didn't do any of the ideas I said above. This time, I want to try to make illustrations and stay close to my previous artwork's colours so I can post my art in colour order, especially because of using Instagram (want to scroll my posts colourful).


The background is the main problem of making this because I struggled so much to decide after I finish the tree. Originally, I was planning to have a bright window of a store but switched it to a city, which I failed to make by scratch. Finally, I decided to have a dawn night sky (which is a reference to Riku from Kingdom Hearts that he took the path of dawn, assuming that's where my partner got their username from).

Shading is slightly difficult for Edge's cuff because the source of light is behind them and it's rare to draw characters with backlighting. Adding extra details like the steam from their mouth and textures is the best part of drawing this, I went ahead to try different brushes to the illustration so it doesn't look plain cell-shading only.

Overall, this took me 2-3 days to finish this present. Even though I could do better to try adding a complex background, I still like the finished look after posting this. Also, the scarf is a bonus for the winter with red and green representing their ship colours.

Anyway, I hope you like my gift, Riku-Reimei!

External Links: Instagram, Pixiv, Tumblr, Twitter

Comments