Skip to main content

February 10th HBD (Late)

My version of Sci shares the same birthday with my persona (Yasu-Kun)

Doctor

Pairing: Doctor!Sci x Childhood Friend!Edge (scifell)
Rating: Minor Course Language, Suggestive Themes (+13)

Word Count: 2,214 (12,085 characters)
Last Updated: 16th February, 2023

When Sci was little, he studied a lot to become a doctor. Born with a kind-hearted soul, he has the ability to heal and the power to protect loved ones. He wanted to utilise his full potential to achieve a successful life, unlike his father.

During lunch, Sci witnesses a rugged skeleton in red sitting by himself. No one wants to play with him because of his appearance and reputation. He’s a bully to many, but Sci — as a bystander — sees him as a lonely skeleton. All the kids are quick to judge others by their actions and mistakes.

The quiet kid walked up to the loner and asked if he was okay. The other responded angrily, believing the nerdy loser was trying to pick on him. Sci convinced him, mentioning his future and why he wants to play with him.

“As the future doctor, it is my moral to save those in need,” Sci adjusted his glasses before reaching his hand out to the sceptical delinquent. “My name is Sci. What’s your name?”

The other skeleton is distrustful of anyone acting nice around him, assuming betrayal to follow after. Imagining himself overcoming the nerd in physical strength, he gave it a chance and answered his name.

“Edge.”

Instead of grabbing Sci’s hand, he got up on his own. After standing, Edge is confident of himself that he can defeat Sci, noticing his height is slightly taller than him. Sci, on the other hand, never once deceived Edge as he makes an effort to build trust with his first friend.

The two walk off to find a quieter place to chat. They played on the sand as they understood each other and what it’s like to be alone and misunderstood. Eventually, they form a bond, finding school ain’t that bad after they have each other to look forward to.

One day, Sci requested Edge to pretend to be his patient. Edge didn’t understand what he needed to do and played along since he used to fake his illness before. With a slightly oversized white coat and a plastic stethoscope to play as a doctor, Sci began checking Edge’s heart rate. It was a simple job for Sci, but Edge was feeling anxious about where it was going, causing his heartbeat to pump faster.

Although Sci was carrying a toy, he could detect his patient was nervous. After that, Sci told him he was done and instructed him to take his candy as medicine, helping the uneasy skeleton from his anxiety. Even though it was pretended, Edge liked being treated with care. He didn’t receive love from others, which makes their friendship special. Every few days, they continue to roleplay as Sci always makes random diagnoses while Edge has the luxury to be fed sweets as a reward.

Sci continued to play doctor until he discovered the school infirmary, learning how to use bandages and disinfect wounds from a first aid kit. Sci took his dream seriously and helped treat Edge’s injury after he tripped himself at the athletics carnival. Soon, he aided many people in his school with his newfound skills until a classmate was taken to an ambulance. Sci’s knowledge wasn’t enough to save someone with bandaids and antiseptic alone. Devastated and traumatised, it’s the first time Edge ever saw his friend cry so much.

That memory scarred Sci when he was little. He cried again after finding out his classmate was alive. Back then, Sci believed they died and assumed the ambulance took him away to a ‘better place’. After his teacher clarified their mistake, Sci encouraged himself to study harder to prepare next time.

Fast forward to their teens, the Edge hardly interacted with Sci like they used to. He doesn’t like the nerd hanging around him like a dog and became distant after he formed a new group of friends with the same style and taste as him. Sci didn’t mind, knowing to respect others and being aware their play date was over once they grew up. There was a time other students thought they were gay or dating, which Edge caused havoc around the school. Neither of them said they saw the other that way. They were childhood friends, nothing more.

When Sci made new friends, Edge felt happy yet bittersweet, reminiscing the old days when they survived primary school, just the two of them together. Occasionally, Edge visits Sci alone to check on each other and talk about their past. It made Sci smile knowing they’re still connected in their hearts.

Once they reached adulthood, both Sci and Edge walked separate ways. Neither saw the other after five years after their high school graduation.


One day, Edge bumped into someone in the hospital. He was about to swear at the doctor to find a familiar face he grew up with. The two locked eyes to find how much they’d changed.

“Sci? Is that you…?” Edge wanted to reach his hand to the handsome skeleton with glasses, but he was conflicted about how he’ll react after the past few years.

“E-Edge! I can’t believe it’s you! Where have you been?!” Sci leans at him for a warm hug.

“Uhh, a lot of places,” Edge patted the nerd’s back to feel he wasn’t dreaming. “Holy shit… I can’t believe you’re a doctor already!”

“Heh, thanks! I just started working at this hospital a few days ago. Anyway, do you have time? Sorry I have to go but are you free after six?”

“Well…” Edge thinks for a second. He came to the hospital to visit his brother, but he doesn’t want to say no to Sci. He agrees to his invitation after checking on his brother’s condition. “Y-Yeah!”

Later, after exchanging their new numbers, the two head upstairs to the rooftop to watch the beautiful sunset. It reminds them of the time when they used to play together at the playground after school. Edge would pick up a stick as a sword with Sci tagging along with his adventures.

“Remember the time you pushed me on the swing?” Sci mentions one of their earliest memories.

“Oh yeah! You were scared at first, but I thought I was a hero helping ya to find some courage. It’s funny I didn’t realise you were screaming in fear to the point you swear you’ll never let go of the swing until you reach the sun.”

“Pfft—! You pushed me so far that the teachers had to stop you!”

Both of them laughed, but they were glad to be safe in the end. Sci almost cried when he was little. He refused to get off the swing after the teachers stopped Fell, wanting so badly to see the sun closer. They were about to call Fell’s parents until Sci raised his voice that Fell isn’t a bully, but a friend. Fell at that time, began to believe in Sci who owned up to the truth, rather than blaming him like everybody else. That day ended when their teachers let them go with an important life lesson to remember. Sci began his progress of courage to defend himself from other bullies while Edge takes his new friendship for granted.

“I’m surprised you still have a packet of sweets with ya,” Edge noticed the brand in Sci’s pocket.

“Yeah, I give one to every kid who visits me,” Sci then notices Edge opening his mouth. “You know, we’re not kids anymore.”

“Please, nerd? I might be having a heartache!” Edge pretends to be in pain. “Oof! Ark—! See? I might be dying…! Bleh!”

“I thought you grew out of it,” Sci chuckles at his acting and pops a candy in Edge’s mouth.

“Oh, come on! What’s wrong with feeling young again!”

“Like the time others thought we were a couple?”

Edge paused for a moment. Sci would expect him to either laugh or be angry about it. But no, the edgy skeleton drops his smile with sad eyes. Sci forgot his Edge isn’t the same Edge back when they were kids.

“Are you okay…?” Sci checks on him.

Suddenly, there’s a light touch on the doctor’s hand. Sci didn’t do anything, allowing Edge to gently hold his hand. The two stay in silence with their souls raising their temperature, making it awkward between them.

“I, uhh… I liked you, Sci.” Edge confesses his feelings, putting Sci in a difficult position. Normally, Edge refers to him as a nerd, so hearing his name called out by Edge floods Sci with many different emotions he suppressed. Sci always wanted to hear him say his name and it’s after a few years until now that he finally hears it from Edge’s mouth. “I… I was afraid to admit it. I didn’t want anyone to know about us at school! I felt judged and pressured by everyone there and… yeah… It was hard to hang out with ya privately and I believe if I told ya the truth back then, it’ll be much harder to keep it a secret. And… fuck! I became an asshole and a coward. I regret a lot of my life choices…!”

Sci is at a loss for words. He had a suspicion that the rumours could be true, but he believed Edge’s words that they were nothing to each other anymore. A part of Sci felt discouraged that he had feelings for his childhood friend and managed to overcome his repressed feelings. Looking back at it now, Sci should have believed Edge he knew from the heart. His water begins to form from his eyes.

“Oh, shit—! I uhh…! I didn’t mean to make you cry…!” Edge panics.

“N… No. I-It’s okay!” The other finally speaks and wipes his tears away. “I didn’t think you would— I should have—!”

Sci couldn’t finish his sentences with hiccups interfering and tears overflowing through his cheekbones. Edge didn’t know what to do, but he managed to calm his friend down with breathing exercises.

“Breathe in… then breathe out from your mouth,” Edge instructs Sci the steps. “Ya feeling better now?”

Sci nods and slowly relaxes.

“So, what were ya trying to say?” Edge reminds Sci about the confession again. He didn’t want to rush for his friend’s answer to mentally prepare for rejection to come.

“Oh, umm… How do I say it? I… I —— you too, Edge…” The shy doctor answers quietly, but Edge didn’t quite catch what he said.

“W-What did ya say? Oi, I think ya might have a sore throat. Should I be your doctor to proscript ya with—?”

Before Edge could finish acting, Sci pulls him for a kiss. It was unexpected, but it broke their communication barrier for the longest time. Edge’s eyes slowly close and embrace him full heartily.

For a few seconds that felt like a whole minute to them, Sci breaks apart to look at his partner. Edge on the other hand didn’t want to let him go, wanting to kiss Sci a little longer.

“Sorry, I couldn’t help it,” Sci apologises. “When you said that, I couldn’t think straight and it wasn’t time for jokes so, umm… yeah. I mean what I said. I *do* love you!”

Finally, Edge yells out of excitement and happiness. Sci tries to quiet him down, but the loud skeleton doesn’t care and shouts across to the sun before grabbing Sci for another hug.

“HELL YEAH! SCREW YOU DEATH, KILLER, NIGHTMARE, ERROR AND BLUE!” He calls out a bunch of familiar names from high school, ex-friends and bullies. He vents out all his past frustration at them before facing back at the present with Sci to a new future together. “S-Sorry. I was a *little* excited…?”

“That’s okay,” Sci forgives him. He enjoys seeing Edge as himself again — the Edge he grew up with. “I hate to cut this short, but I have to get back to work at seven. So, umm… I’ll call you later?”

“Y… Yeah…”

Edge’s heart is in pain. Even though they’ll see each other soon, it wasn’t enough time to celebrate the beginning of their new form of relationship. Edge missed Sci a lot and he didn’t want to lose him again after many searches and regrets. Sci notices his sadness and comes up with an idea.

“I think you’re experiencing another heartache. Here, you need to take one of these,” Sci unwraps another candy.

“Nah, I don’t need—!”

Edge was interrupted again. But this time, Sci pops the candy and passes it to Edge mouth to mouth, bringing another kiss, but sweeter. They play together inside their mouths, taking turns passing the candy to taste a new form of antidote. It went on for a minute or two before Edge surrendered to keep the candy in his mouth.

“Feeling better?” Sci asks, placing his palm on Edge’s forehead.

“Y-Yeah…!” The rebel smiles to himself, almost daydreaming. He didn’t expect Sci to be adventurous and creative to his level. “It’s a little too sweet, but I like it!”

“That’s good!” Sci plants his third kiss on his lover’s cheekbone. “I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

Sci excuses himself and leaves early, leaving the lovestruck Edge in his world for a moment. He eventually returns home before dark, waiting to see him again.

Author's note: I rememebered my doctor used to give me free jellybeans when I was a child. I had this concept for so long that I nearly forgot all about it for about a year or two. One day, I suddenly remembered this concept when I was lying on my bed. The thought of Sci feeding Edge candy as a sweet gesture as "medicine" whenever he pretends to be a doctor was frickin' cute. What's even cuter was having it as their thing since they were kids.

Unfortunely, I miss Valentine's Day and many other days since the beginning of this year. I ended up writing this story out of procrastination and builded up stress, needing something warm and fuzzy feeling in my life. Also, I haven't post for ages so I hope you all enjoy this oneshot for the meantime!

P.S. Sorry the title of this fanfic is unoriginal!
External Links: Google Docs

Comments

  1. OMG YES!! I MISSED WHEN YOU USE TO WRITE THESE. LOVING IT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Sorry I've been hella busy and stressed more recently. I'm glad you love it! X3

      Delete
  2. AhHH LOVE IT!! Do take care tho creator:'0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is really good
    Im newer to your work idk what took so long i love your art style, and your writings are fun to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lately I have self-doubt of my works, mainly my writing skills so that's means a lot to me! :'DD

      Delete

Post a Comment

If your comment doesn't show up, it's under the blog's moderation for posts older than 30 days.